Friday, April 15, 2011

Dusting off the blogger button....

It's been a very long time since I dusted off this blog thing - way too long!
The last few months have been more insane than usual but, well worth it!  I have a lot to share but, for the sake of not overwhelming you with all the juicy details (and giving a bit of a teaser) I'll spread all of the awesome updates across a few entries.

So, where've I been??
Well, when I dropped off the face of the earth in August, I had started a new day job.
I spent a few months working very closely with Jacques Torres -Mr. Chocolate himself - at his flagship location in Hudson Square and on the Upper East Side on Amsterdam Ave.  It was a fantastic opportunity that I just couldn't pass up.
Not only is Chef Torres one of the world's top pastry chefs but, he started his chocolate empire as a small Mom-n-Pop business in DUMBO, Brooklyn.  I learned so much from him about owning and operating a small NYC confectionery business in both front and back of house and am grateful for every single second I was able to pick his brain.

I stopped working with Jacques in December to get ready for the holiday season at BTS.  I also wanted to take some time to apply all the lessons I learned to my business - wrangling in the focus of Brooklyn Treat Shoppe, our menu and all of our upcoming products.

I then turned my focus toward local sourcing.
As a small business starting with very little to no start up funds, we didn't have the opportunity to get our ingredients from all of the places we really wanted to.
My ultimate intention is for us to eventually graduate to a place where we are hyper informed of where our ingredients come from.  Every day, we get closer and closer to this attaining goal.
Currently, I'm very proud to say we are now making a good amount of our base ingredients from scratch and have sourced all of our produce from local farmers. (...more to come on this soon!)
To drive that point home, we think you should know, we are currently using 100% NY dairy and have replaced the commercial peanut butter we were using with our small batch in-house peanut butter!

We're growing more and more each day and have some really great surprises in store for you in the coming months.  I can't wait to tell you all about it!

But, right now, we need to focus on the holiday at hand....Easter.
Keep your eyes peeled for a more steady stream of blogs and remember to check out our cake photos on Facebook.
Talk soon,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment